Admission Notice for the 2017 - 18 Academic Session
Last date for submitting filled application forms: 25 March 2017
Entrance Test: 9 April 2017
Classes begin: 26 July 2017
South Asian University (SAU) is an international university established by the governments of the eight member nations of the South Asian Association for Regional Co-operation (SAARC) viz., Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka. The University, established with the aim of evolving a South Asian consciousness, offers Master’s and PhD level programmes in Economics,Computer Science, Biotechnology,Applied Mathematics, Sociology, International Relations and Legal Studies.
SAU attracts students from all member nations and its degrees are recognized by all the eight SAARC countries.
The University currently functions from its Akbar Bhawan campus in Chanakyapuri, New Delhi. It will eventually move to its 100 acre campus in Maidan Garhi, South Delhi, which is expected to be ready by the year 2018.
Admission to Master's Level Programmes
The following is a list of the Master’s level programmes offered at SAU. The figures in brackets show the number of seats available in each programme.
Details about the faculty, admission procedure and the format of the Entrance Tests can be viewed by clicking on appropriate links below:
- For admission to the Master’s level programmes, a minimum of 15 years of education under the 10+2+3 pattern (i.e., 12 years of schooling + a 3 year Bachelor’s degree) is essential. Applicants who have earned a 4 year degree after 10+2 (12 years of schooling) are also eligible, though the Master’s level programme will still be of two years duration for them. Applicants who have obtained a Bachelor’s degree in less than 15 years (e.g., under the 10+2+2 pattern) are not eligible for admission. However, students who have completed a two-year Bachelor’s degree and thereafter have also completed one year of MA/MSc can apply for admission to a Master’s level course subject to their fulfilling other prescribed eligibility conditions including percentage of marks (which will be the average of marks obtained at the Bachelor’s level and the first year of the MA/MSc course).
- Applicants who have not yet completed the Bachelor’s degree course and are yet to appear for their last year/semester exam, may also apply for admission and appear in the Entrance Test. However, their admission will be confirmed only if they fulfil the minimum eligibility criteria of aggregate percentage of marks at the Bachelor’s level and the first year of MA/MSc course besides clearing the Entrance Test. Please note that such candidates will not have any claim to admission if their results are not declared and their mark sheets are not available latest by 31 July 2017 which is the last date for admissions.
- Students who are offered admission will be required to produce original copies of their final results at the time of admission, including mark sheets/grade sheets of their qualifying degree examination.
- Master’s level students in all programmes at SAU shall be full-time students and shall not be permitted to take up full or part-time jobs during the course of their study.
Determining Rankings in Case of a Tie
The Policy to determine the ranking of candidates in the Entrance Test in case of a tie is as under:
In case of a tie in the total score of the Entrance Test, the rank of a candidate will be determined on the basis of the score in individual sections as follows:
- If the total score is tied, the candidate who scores higher marks in section C will be placed higher.
- In case the total score and Section C scores are tied or if there is no Section C, the candidate who scores higher marks in section B will be placed higher.
- If the tie continues further, higher rank will be awarded to the candidate who is older.
Admission to PhD programmes
The following is a list of PhD programmes offered at SAU. The figures in brackets show the number of seats available in each programme.
Details about the faculty, admission procedure and the format of Entrance Tests can be accessed by clicking on appropriate links below:
- Applicants who have not completed their Master’s level course and are yet to appear for their last year/semester exam may also take the Entrance Test. However, their admission will be subject to their fulfilling the minimum eligibility criteria of aggregate percentage of marks at the Master’s level besides clearing the Entrance Test. Please note that such candidates will not have any claim to admission if their results are not declared and their mark sheets are not available latest by 31 July 2017which is the last date for admissions.
- The admission procedure consists of an Entrance Test followed by an interview. Students are required to score at least 50% marks in both, the Entrance Test and the interview separately, to be eligible for admission.
Travel Subsidy for Candidates Invited for Interview
Candidates invited for the interview will be given a travel subsidy (upper limit INR 5,000) towards actual travel cost by the shortest route as per instructions which will be communicated to those called for interview. If candidates from outside India are unable to travel to New Delhi for the interview, they can seek permission for an interview through Skype.
Students pursuing a PhD degree at SAU are full-time students and are not permitted to take up full or part-time work during the pendency of their course.
Deadline for receiving Application Forms: 25 March 2017
Application Fee, Date and Venues for the Entrance Test
An Entrance Test will be conducted simultaneously throughout the SAARC region on 9 April 2017. The fee for appearing in the Entrance Test is US $10 or INR 670/-. Applications for admission will be accepted only online and payment must be made by credit/debit cards or net banking. Those who cannot pay the application fee online still need to fill and submit the online application form. They can then courier a bank draft for US$ 10 or INR 670/- drawn in favour of “ South Asian University” payable at New Delhi to the Deputy Registrar Admissions, South Asian University, Akbar Bhawan, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi 110021, India. The bank draft must have the name of the candidate, application number and the programme applied for at the back of the bank draft. However, registration will be done only on receipt of the bank draft.
The following is a list of the main cities where the Entrance Test will be conducted:
Chittagong and Dhaka (Bangladesh),
Karachi and Lahore (Pakistan),
Colombo (Sri Lanka) and
India (Bangalore, Chandigarh, Chennai, Guwahati, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kolkata, Lucknow, Mumbai, New Delhi, Patna and Thiruvananthapuram).
Please indicate the centre of your choice while filling the application form.
The Entrance Tests will be held in two shifts on the same day at all the centres as shown below:
MA in Economics
MA in Sociology
MSc in Biotechnology
MSc in Applied Mathematics
PhD in Economics
PhD in Sociology
PhD in Biotechnology
PhD in Applied Mathematics
MA in International Relations
MSc in Computer Science
PhD in International Relations
PhD in Computer Science
PhD in Legal Studies
A student can register for 2 or more courses but will be allowed to take the Entrance Test for 2 subjects at most, one in the morning session and one in the afternoon.
Country-Wise Quota of Seats
- 50% seats are reserved for Indian applicants in all the Master’s level programmes;
- 4% seats are reserved for applicants from each of the following five countries: Afghanistan, Bhutan, Maldives, Nepal and Sri Lanka;
- 10% seats are reserved for applicants from each of the following countries: Pakistan and Bangladesh;
- 10% seats may be allotted to applicants from outside the SAARC region;
- Merit lists will be prepared country-wise and the competition will only be amongst candidates within each country;
- If the seats allocated to a particular country are not filled, they will be allocated to students from other countries, as per SAU rules.
The available seats in each programme will be divided as follows: Fifty per cent seats for Indian students and the remaining 50% seats for all other seven SAARC countries put together. Two merit lists will be prepared, one for Indian applicants and the other will be a combined merit list for the remaining SAARC countries. In view of the small number of seats available in each programme, seat reservation for individual countries is not possible.
Admission Procedure for Nationals of Non-SAARC Countries
All candidates from outside the SAARC region should send their application on the prescribed application form directly to Deputy Registrar Admissions, South Asian University, Akbar Bhawan, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi 110021, India, with all supporting documents including educational records, identity proof and a colour photograph. The application should reach South Asian University by 25 March 2017. Each application will be scrutinized by the concerned faculty to determine the eligibility of the candidate and the decision of the University will be final in this regard. Students from outside the SAARC region do not have to take an Entrance Test and will be admitted on the basis of their past performance. They are also not eligible for any scholarships/freeships offered by the University.
Oversees students admitted to the South Asian University are issued a special category visa called the “SAU Visa”. Students selected for admission must approach the Indian Embassy/ High Commission in their respective counties with the Admission Letter for issuance of this visa. Students from Bhutan and Nepal do not require a visa.
Tuition and other Fees
- US$ 440 per semester (US$ 880 per year) for day scholars, payable in July & January each year.
- US$ 500 per semester (US$ 1000 per year) for boarders, payable in July & January each year.
- US$ 4500 per semester (US$ 9000 per year) for day scholars, payable in July & January each year.
- US$ 5100 per semester (US$ 10200 per year) for boarders, payable in July & January each year.
|Admission Fee (Non-Refundable)
||US$ 100 (payable only once at the time of entering SAU)
||US$ 100 (payable only once at the time of entering SAU)
|Students' Aid Fund (Non-Refundable)
||INR50 per semester
||INR50 per semester
|Fees once paid are non-refundable except for security deposit.
Hostel and Medical Facilities
Hostel Facilities: Hostel accommodation (on a 3-to-a-room basis) is provided only to those students who come from outside the National Capital Region of Delhi (NCR). Each hostel room approximately is 14 ft. x 15 ft. in size, and has an attached bathroom. Tables and chairs are provided in each room. Hostel accommodation is NOT provided for spouse/children or other family members of admitted students. All students staying in the hostel must adhere strictly to hostel rules. Hostel Fee is US $ 60 per academic semester for students from the SAARC region. Students must vacate the hostel immediately upon completion of their course and/or if they are disqualified from continuing the course.
Mess charges will be extra and are likely to range between US$ 50 to 75 per month.
Medical Facilities: All admitted students are covered under the Medical Group Insurance Scheme up to INR 1,50,000 for which full premium is paid by the University. In addition, the University has its own Health Centre where limited OPD facilities are available.
Expenses incurred by students on purchase of medicines (prescribed by the University doctor) are reimbursable as per SAU rules.